Every guidebook welcomes to Sigulda and Turaida – the gateway to the Gauja valley carved by the Ice Ages. That’s the exit of the valley, but what’s about the belly?
- pick up at hotel at 7:30
- 1,5 hours ride to the point of destination – Raiskums village, vicinity of Cesis, (Riga 87 km)
- short hike to the introduction point (Green class – forest accustomed campsite). The overview of the hike, tea, coffee, water.
- hike along the once melting ice-trail will reveal the intimate landscapes of the brooks and streams, rivers meeting and curving, in a certain moment getting into the atmosphere of the world famous painting “Three bears” by M.Shishkin yourself.
- picnic served in the middle of the forest – tasting of fresh and newly oven/fire baked exceptional local products.
- continuation of the trail until the reach of Gauja river.
- pick up and drive until the most popular fresh water spring in the vicinity of Cesis – the Red cliffs.
- drive back to civilised world.
Hiking difficulty: medium
Distance covered: 6 km
Road surface: 10% gravel roads, 90% forest paths and wild animal trails
Approximate time in the wild: 6 hours (5 hours hiking and 1 hour lunch stop)
walking shoes requested. walking sticks provided. drinking water provided. terrain – rough, environment – every type of post Ice Age Northern forest growth.
Suggested time of visit: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter